New-Avalon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New-Avalon

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Child of the Ancient chapter one

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Morgan Le Fay
Noble Man/Woman
Noble Man/Woman

Number of posts : 836
Registration date : 2007-07-29

Child of the Ancient chapter one Empty
PostSubject: Child of the Ancient chapter one   Child of the Ancient chapter one Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Her eyes glazed over the barren lands in front of her, while strange voices whispered in her ears. She ignored the voices while her horse breezed in the wind and galloped straight forward. She knew that she was almost home and tried to imagine how her father would receive her arrival. He probably would get sick just by hearing the news from his all seeing council that she was coming. Time had told her that she shouldn’t pay attention to that fact anymore. It was the same thing every time she entered a certain country. The fact that this was her homeland shouldn’t make a difference to her anymore. She wondered if her brother was ready to receive the crown by now. Last time she saw him he was still studying. She never cared much for her oldest brother, he saw her like everybody else did, as a freak that should have been eliminated. Her younger brother however was her treasure. She remembered playing with him in the gardens and how he would run trough the halls just to hear her tales about where she had been and what she had done all those times. She would tell him stories about things she had seen and always left the bad thing behind. He was the only one in her family who didn’t realized yet what she was and was just content with her being his big sister. It had been years since she had seen him and she wondered how he had grown up.
As she drove trough the fields and ignored the staring looks of the farmers working on the land, she felt a little bit. It had been a long time since something hit her in her heart and every little piece of feeling was a miracle in her mind. Although she couldn’t remember what the feeling was exactly, she knew it was a good one. A sort of missing perhaps. Little Johnny had to be about eighteen right now. She was glad knowing she would see him again, although the message she would bring was a dark and heavy one. At least there still was a little light in the darkness somewhere.

For the longest time Channa stared over the high woods and forests in front of her. From the top of the hill you could see almost as far as the last mountain of Debra, which divided the lands into two different kingdoms. She was well informed about the relationships of her homeland and the neighbour land and knew that it hadn’t been a very good one for many centuries. She had to convince them however, that it was time to put their differences behind them before the great war would approach them. For centuries the kingdoms on this far side of the world where convinced that the border would protect them, but Channa knew better. She was probably the only one so far to have crossed it and survived. But the elements became unstable she had noticed the last time she had crossed it. The border was a sort of gap between this world and the underworld. A normal human would never survive the crossing and would have disappeared within the grip of the underworld, but Channa was not of interest to the dark creatures that lived there. She was a child of darkness herself, her destiny would be there some day and she would find it without any help. Although nobody else would survive crossing the border, soon the border would disappear. She felt it when she walked between the shadows and felt their fear for what would happen. How it had happened exactly she did not know. But the wizards in the new world where different from the ones in the old world and perhaps they had found a way to close the gap. She didn’t had time to think about it for very long, it was a mistake that the gap was made in the first place, or so the myths told them. But the greater danger was now for what lay behind the border, an army greater than any army they had ever encountered. If the old world could make a stand against them, they would have to work together. She sighed while exhorted her horse to continue. It would be a long and difficult journey ahead of her and the last thing she wanted now was to see her father again. He would be unwilling to listen to anything she would have to say, she knew that already. But somehow she had to convince him however to at least talk with King Farran about their defences. There where a lot of great kingdoms in the old world but most where not cooperating. They had so many social en political differences that it would be hard to form a defence against such a mighty enemy. Channa had heard tales during her stay in the new world about the army of millions and the ruler that was leading them. ‘The Garrath’ they called him which was an ancient word for emperor. Nobody seemed to know much about him but everybody feared him and his army of humans and magicians. It was said that they could turn the clouds into darkness and jerked your soul out of your body when you displeased them. Channa had never studied the magic’s that well, but if the ancient wizards could have made her ancestors into weapons she was sure that the magicians of this time could do terrible things as well. She would have to go from the kingdoms to the wizards temple on mount Verness to warn them. Another trip she was not really excited about.
‘Excuse me miss’ a voice suddenly said and frightened she looked up. Her thoughts had distract her from the road around her but this was Merri, a deep forrest where people didn’t dare to show up since they would lost their way within no time. Still a man in his late twenties with a strange accent was asking for her and a bit confused she pulled her horse to a stop. ‘I’ve seen to have lost my way here’ the man said and she frowned a bit. His posture was different too from her own people. The people in the old world had small and agile postures but he was tall and widely built. His clothes adapted to the forest and was meant to blend in. He was not from around here, that was for sure and she had the terrible thought that he was from the new world and the border was already closed. Could it be that it would close at such a fast rate? ‘So I see, where are you heading?’ she asked the strange man in front of her. ‘I’m not sure, but this forest doesn’t seem quite right’ he said with a friendly smile. Now her confusion was grown even more. ‘Well where are you from?’ she asked polite. ‘Nimandal’ he answered. ‘A small village next to Farside’ She had never heard of such a place and her suspicious grew even more. ‘I was hunting the forest for some beasts that attacked my people a little while ago and before I knew it my forest had became this place’ he explained. ‘Your forest changed?’ she asked slowly. ‘Yes I don’t know how else to explain it. I grew up in those forests, I know the way there. One moment I knew where I was and the next thing I knew I was lost within these woods.’ His hand went trough his brown hairs and she saw the innocence behind his blue eyes. Although she didn’t trust what he had just told her, she could not leave him here either. If he was from the new world and a scout of the army or a spy, she should at least take him with her so she could keep an eye on him. The changing forests where too weird, even for her to consider so there had to be something else about him. ‘I’m heading for Tamaron, about two days travelling. You may come with me if you’d like’ she said and he smiled a bit. ‘Thank you miss’ he said polite. ‘Channa’ she improved him. ‘My name is Thomas.’ She nodded her head and looked at the sky. ‘It will be dark soon, we better find a place to spend the night’ she said and he smiled, this time like he really meant it. ‘I don’t mean to be rude miss…Channa, but you are travelling alone and I am a stranger, are you sure you would like to spend your night in the woods with me?’ Now she couldn’t help but laugh and she looked at him with a semi frown on her face. ‘I think I’ll manage’ she said and together they walked on to find a place to put up camp.
Back to top Go down
Morgan Le Fay
Noble Man/Woman
Noble Man/Woman

PostSubject: Re: Child of the Ancient chapter one   Child of the Ancient chapter one Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Channa was not exactly thrilled with the idea of having a stranger, perhaps even a spy travelling with her but she was not about to let him go. Silently they walked as she was thinking so much, her brain was hurting. ‘You’re not really the talking type are you?’ the man called Thomas asked. She shook her shoulders a bit. ‘I speak when I have something to say’ she replied. ‘Right now I’m wondering what could have happened that brought you here.’ She was hoping that when the man would talk she would discover a lie within his answers so she would have a better idea of who he really was. ‘I must admit that I have no idea how this is even possible’ he said with a frown on his face. ‘Well I can give you an answer to that. Either you’re lying to me or there is something very strange going on here’ She answered. A silence fell in the middle and the two looked at each other as if they where enemies. ‘This place where you going to, where is it located exactly?’ he finally asked. ‘It’s a few miles up north, behind these hills, It’s called the village of Nim.’
‘And what will you do when you get there?’ he asked. ‘We’ll look for a place to spend the night, after that we travel to Tamaron’ she answered. ‘What’s Tamaron?’ he now asked. She sighted. Either he was a very bad spy not knowing what the capital was or he wasn’t a spy at all and he was really a stranger. Perhaps he was a spy and he just played dumb so he would get her to talk. Her head was spinning in all sorts of directions at the moment and she knew she had to be careful with her answers. ‘Tamaron is my land, it’s been ruled by my father and I grew up there.’ ‘So what are we going to do when we get there?’ he now asked. ‘Well I need to ha a little talk with my father about some things and you will have the opportunity to find out how to get back’ she said with a grim on her face. She didn’t like being questioned at this time, especially not by a stranger who she had no idea if he was friend or enemy.
‘And you said your father was a king there?’ She nodded her head a little. ‘Last time I checked in he still was’ she said with a grim on her face. ‘So if your fathers kingdom is there, and the borders are behind us…where did I came from?’ he asked confused. ‘I have no idea, but if it is really true what you’re saying we might have a bigger problem than the upcoming war’ Channa said with a sad face.

‘Be silent!’ Channa commended with a strict voice. ‘Why?’ Thomas asked surprised. ‘We’re now entering the lands of the immortals, they don’t really like having visitors over’ she warned. ‘What are the immortals?’ he now whispered. ‘They’re a strange sort of people, not human and not ghost. You can look them in the eyes without even seeing their bodies yet they are not death or dying. We call them the immortals but some believe they are spirits of the forest. They don’t like humans so they are being feared by many.’
‘Should we fear them as well?’ Thomas asked. Channa lifted her eyebrow. ‘I suppose not, they know me here’ she said. Thomas looked at her as if she was a freak but she didn’t answered his look. She was used to that kind of look and although he didn’t knew anything about her or her curse, he was bound to find out soon. After that he would probably never look at her again as if she was a woman.
‘Who goes there?’ a voice out of nowhere suddenly asked. ‘I go here, Channa of Tamaron’ she replied without fear. A shim appeared in front of them. It was the chief of them, the one who was in command of the immortals.
‘Nobody crosses these lands without the proper qualification’ the voice now spoke. ‘Do we have the proper qualification?’ Thomas asked a bit on his guard. Channa nodded her head and smiled out of courtesy to the chief. ‘I come with news that might be of some interest to you’ she said. The chief held up his hand and waved it for silence. ‘Say no more, we already know what lives in your world. We will not enter it again until the prophecy is forsaken’ he replied. ‘What prophecy?’ Thomas asked. Now the chief held his dark eyes strongly pointed at him, as if he was reading his soul. ‘This one does not know?’ he said and Channa waved her head. ‘He is not from around here’ she explained. ‘The prophecy is about your companion, ask her if you must. The road is open for you’ the chief said. Deanna thanked him and just as he appeared before he disappeared again.
‘What was he talking about?’ Thomas asked. ‘There is this prophecy where a Dandre Queen will take her rightful place on the throne again to save the land from the shadows or pull it into it. Prophecy’s are very vague about those things.’ ‘Well what does that has to do with you?’ he asked. ‘Well I’m the last female Dandre, unless me or my brothers will have children. Because there is a treat coming from the new lands the chief thinks this is the time to fulfil the prophecy I suppose’ she answered while they walked across the misty lands. ‘Why would the queen take the land into the shadows?’ Thomas now asked. Deanna sighted as she stood still to look him in his eyes. ‘It’s a long story’ she said. ‘Well it’s a long walk if I am correct’ Thomas quickly said. Since there was no harm in telling him about her curse she thought she might as well tell him. Perhaps this way he wouldn’t be so darn irritating and stubborn all the time and finally tell her what she needed to know. Either way it would go easier if he feared her she imagined.
‘When the world was at his beginning, there where many wars among the magicians. Magicians always served at the kingdoms courts and they had an urge to become better than the others, to bless the lands and prove to the others they where better. In those days there where several groups and covens which took these competitions to another level and started experimenting with magic. When Tamaron was at it’s downfall and lost a lot in the war, the courts magicians wanted to help. They pulled their powers together, which as I have understood was a very tricky and dangerous thing to do. With their combined magic’s they made the queen into a deadly weapon, indestructible for other magicians. She helped Tamaron out of the war and build it up again to a great country, but when the wars where over she had gone mad by the amount of magic that was inside of her. Unable to pull the curse away she started other wars which led the people into another poverty and almost destroyed everyone. From that moment on it was decided never to put another queen on the throne again. Tamaron was always ruled by woman until that moment. Since the curse was given trough by daughters, sons had no powers. That is why I am not qualified to become queen or any other woman in my bloodline. Tamaron must be ruled by man for an ancient prophecy says that any woman that claims the throne is likely to destroy the lands. Though it also speaks of a possible salvation. It’s a puzzle the magicians are trying to solve since the beginning of time.’
Deanna sighted and felt some tears irritating her eyeballs. She never done anything wrong and always wanted to help her country. But because of this curse and her history, she was being feared and avoided her whole life.
‘So you can’t be killed?’ Thomas asked after he thought some about it. ‘Of course I can be killed’ Deanna said. ‘Just not by anything magic. I can be killed by sword or knife, I can be poisoned or just die of old age. But because of my curse it would be hard and almost impossible to kill me by sword and my body is probably too strong for most poison. I probably will die of old age some day, though the woman in my bloodline had interesting long lives.’ ‘So you really are indestructible?’ Thomas wondered. She faked a smile on her face and shook her shoulders. ‘Nothing is indestructible’ she replied.
Back to top Go down
Morgan Le Fay
Noble Man/Woman
Noble Man/Woman

PostSubject: Re: Child of the Ancient chapter one   Child of the Ancient chapter one Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 pm

After telling him it became uncomfortable silent between them. Channa focused on the way ahead. The forest became more difficult to cross as they where approaching the village and she needed to pay attention to it. It was a shortcut travelling trough the lands of the immortals, but because of their disliking for humans they had made the roads extremely difficult to travel trough so nobody from the village would even consider taking such a road. Thomas seemed to be drowning within his own thoughts and Channa hoped he would reconsider the answers he had given her and tell her the truth. Although he didn’t appeared to her as a spy she couldn’t be to careful. Besides that, she had the feeling he was not telling her the whole truth about things. ‘But why are you held responsible for the actions of your ancestors?’ he finally asked. ‘Because people are idiots’ she now replied. She had no intentions of answering anymore questions about her background. Thomas went silent again as he followed her throughout the paths she was clearing. The sun was almost settling down and she hoped they would reach Nim before it would get dark. She glanced at her side where Thomas was walking. Now the path had begun to be bigger and more easier to walk trough. Thomas looked pretty strong, he could keep up with her at all times without seeming to be affected by transpiration. His clothes where made out of green and brown fabric so he would blend in with the forests at all times. His boots where also made out of comfortable material so he would be able to travel long distances without getting blisters. They didn’t look fancy but they where more useful than any other nicely decorated boot she had seen. As for his body and movement she would have to say that he was probably used travelling trough woods. Perhaps he had told her the truth after all. He seemed to be in place here.
‘How far is this village?’ Thomas asked. ‘Just a little farther, if we walk fast enough we will get there before dark’ she said. She could not help but staring at his brown hair and thick eyebrows that where covering his eyes. His face had a little tan which meant he was on the road for quite some time now. He really was a mystery to her. She had never seen such a man before. Channa had travelled across the border for a long time now and had seen many places and many different people. Yet none of them matched the stranger on her side. In the old world people where usually smaller and slightly build. They all had black hairs and dark brown eyes accept for Channa who had green eyes because of the magic that was flowing inside of her. Her people all had a little bit of a tan because the old world was close to the desert so the weather had provided a lot of sun during most of the year.
But in the new world and the places she had travelled trough people looked quite different. Some where tall and had blonde hairs, some where smaller with brown hairs. There where a lot of differences between them and the farther you travelled the more differences there where. The new world was a lot bigger than the old world so they had more places. Channa didn’t seen them all so it could be possible Thomas really came from the new world. But she did knew what lands where on the border and none of them where called as he described them. Besides what little error in his story she also never saw a man build like him. He was tall and widely build but his face was like that of the desert people. His nose was rounder than those she had seen before in the new world and his hair seemed to be out of place too. Although he could be of the new world she couldn’t remember anyone looking anything similar to him. There was a small chance she was wrong about him but she was almost certain he was not from the new world, neither he came from the old. Perhaps she was wrong about him, but she would not let him out of her sight until she was sure.
Back to top Go down
Roo
Knight
Knight
Roo

Male Number of posts : 1001

Character sheet
Life Points:
Child of the Ancient chapter one Left_bar_bleue1000/1000Child of the Ancient chapter one Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)
Character Name: Roo

PostSubject: Re: Child of the Ancient chapter one   Child of the Ancient chapter one Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 am

Finally I got some time to read it Smile

Very nice story, just like the other one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Child of the Ancient chapter one   Child of the Ancient chapter one Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Child of the Ancient chapter one
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New-Avalon :: Writings :: Stories-
Jump to: